What is homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance protects you financially in the event of a disaster. A standard policy not only protects the home itself but also the contents you keep in your home.
Homeowners insurance also provides protection for liability and legal responsibility for any property damage or personal injuries you or your family might cause to someone else, including damage or injury caused by household pets.
Do I need homeowners insurance?
Unlike auto insurance, homeowners insurance is not a legal requirement. However, mortgage lenders will require you to get home insurance in order to protect their interest in the home in the event the home is damaged in a fire, lightning storm, or another covered event. Also, your home is most likely one of your biggest investments so you’ll want it to be protected!
What should my homeowners insurance cover?
- Your home: Repairing damage to your home can be very costly, and having insurance on your home can relieve some of the financial burden if you find yourself needing to repair or rebuild your home after a disaster. Homeowners insurance will help to repair or rebuild your home if there is damage to the home resulting from a covered event. It can also repair or rebuild other structures on your property such as a detached carport or storage shed.
- Your possessions: Not only is it important to protect your home but also the possessions that you keep in it! Whether it be your furniture or other household items, homeowners insurance can help to replace them in the event they are lost or damaged in a covered peril.
- Temporary living expenses: Homeowners insurance can cover your expenses if you need a place to live while your home is being rebuilt or repaired. If a disaster strikes and you find your home to be unlivable, you’ll likely need somewhere to stay while the damage is being repaired.
- Liability: If a guest is injured or if their property is damaged while on your property, you could be held liable. For example, if someone falls down the stairs or slips in your driveway, you could be found responsible for the damages. Home insurance can help pay for the costs of a guests injuries or if a guests property is damaged and you are found to be responsible.
Questions to ask your agent about your homeowners insurance policy:
With so many options out there, it’s a good idea to ask your agent some questions to get a policy that is right for you.
- How much coverage do I need for my home? If your home is damaged or destroyed, you will need enough coverage to pay for repairs and restore your home to its original state. You should have enough coverage to rebuild your home in the event of a total loss. Your agent should have knowledge of the features and of the value of your home in order to provide you with enough coverage and a policy that fits your specific needs.
- How much coverage do I need for my personal property? In the event of a loss, it’s not just your home that may need repairs or replacement, but your belongings as well. Most homeowners insurance policies provide personal property coverage of 50 to 70 percent of your dwelling coverage. Make an assessment of your belongings so your agent can provide you with the right amount of coverage to replace your possessions.
- Does the company have a good reputation? When you make a claim, you’ll want to know that you will be compensated accordingly. Ask your agent if the insurance company has a good track record of paying out claims quickly and fairly.
- What discounts are available? There are several discounts available that could decrease the cost of your premium. For instance, having smoke alarms and burglar alarms often result in a discounted price. Ask your agent if you qualify for any of these discounts.
Thank you for your interest in Best Insurance. We provide home insurance throughout Texas City, La Marque, Dickinson, Galveston, Sante Fe, Hitchcock and across Texas. Please feel free to call our Texas City Office at 409-986-9611 or our Galveston Office at 409-744-4414 or email us with any questions you may have.