What is auto insurance?
Auto insurance protects you financially in the event that you are involved in an accident. You pay a premium to the insurance company, and in exchange they cover your losses in an accident up to the limits defined in your policy. Your auto insurance policy can cover not only injuries or damage to others, but the costs for your own injuries and damage to your vehicle as well. Generally, auto insurance policies are six months to a year, but there are other options available.
Do I need auto insurance?
Having auto insurance is required by law in most states and, if you are financing your car, your lender may also require that you have it. However, the reasons for having auto insurance extend far beyond it just being a requirement:
- Repairing or replacing your car: For many people, having their car is a necessity. If your car is damaged or stolen, it can cost a lot of money to fix it. Having auto insurance can help to repair your car or get you a replacement.
- Medical costs: If you or your passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be very expensive, often more than what people can afford. Your auto insurance can cover the medical bills for yourself and your passengers. In addition to medical costs, auto insurance can cover lost wages if you find yourself unable to work as the result of an accident.
- Liability: Accidents happen, and it’s not just yourself and your car that can be damaged as a result. If you are found responsible for an accident, you could be liable to pay medical costs for the other people involved as well as the cost to repair or replace their vehicle or property. Having bodily injury and property damage liability protects you from having to pay for these costs out of pocket.
What additional coverages are available?
- Collision: Pays for repairs to your vehicle when you are involved in an accident if you are at fault. It should be noted that this coverage does not pay for repairs that are a result of normal wear and tear on your car.
- Comprehensive: Pays to repair damages to your car that are the result of something other than an accident such as falling trees or hail.
- Glass coverage: Provides coverage for damage to your windshield or other types of glass on your car, often with no deductible.
- Uninsured motorist: Pays for damages to your car when you are involved in an accident caused by a driver that either does not have insurance or is under insured. It will also cover the costs of repairs if your car is damaged as the result of a hit-and-run.
Questions to ask your agent about your Auto Insurance policy:
- How much am I willing to pay if I am involved in an accident? Having a higher deductible can lower your cost of insurance if you are able to pay more in the event of an accident.
- What should I do if I need to file a claim? Ask your agent about who to call and what the procedure is after you file your claim.
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation? If you need to file a claim, you’ll want to know that you will be compensated fairly and quickly.
- Are there discounts available? There are several discounts available that could get you a cheaper rate such as having previous insurance, owning a home, or being a good student. Ask your agent if you qualify for any discounts!
Thank you for your interest in Best Insurance. We provide car insurance throughout Texas City, La Marque, Dickinson, Galveston, Sante Fe, Hitchcock and across Texas. Please feel free to call our Texas City Office at 409-986-9611 or our Galveston Office at 409-744-4414 or email us with any questions you may have.